Centennial Business Awards
Thursday, May 23
2:30 - 3 pm
Foyer - FREE with EXPO trade show pass, REGISTER
The Vermont Centennial Business Awards is a joint project of the Office of the Secretary of State, the Vermont Chamber of Commerce and Vermont Business Magazine.
These awards acknowledge Vermont's oldest businesses for enriching our economic heritage. The companies recognized at this ceremony have been in operation and based in Vermont for 100 years or more. The hope is that this program will deepen our understanding of how Vermont's businesses have enhanced our community life during the last hundred years.
2013 Centennial Business Award Honorees:
- Buoy 39 Marina: Buoy 39 Marina was established July, 1, 1902. In 1956 Charlie Leazer took ownership and 57 years later it remains family owned and operated, currently by son John Leazer. The marina is located at the southern end of Lake Champlain in Orwell, VT, nestled in the shadow of historic Mt. Independence and opposite Fort Ticonderoga. In the mid 1990's Marker Buoy 39 was renumbered to Marker 73, however the
original name remains. The marina is small, quiet and family oriented. There is
seasonal dockage, electric, water and transient dockage when available.
- Hastings Store: Since being built sometime prior to 1853, Hastings Store has seen many changes in the West Danville/Joe's Pond community. Hastings Store was a combination grocery, dry goods, meat market, millinery, dress goods, hardware, kerosene, ice house, and lumber yard and post office. Hastings Store was awarded the Vermont Centennial Award in 2008. This year Hastings Store is receiving the Centennial award again. 2013 marks the 100th year that the Hastings Store has been owned continuously by the Hastings family! On October 13, 1913, Gilbert and Jennie Hastings purchased the general store from Burt Wells. After World War II their son, Ralph and his wife, Mabel took over the business. In 1976 the Hastings handed over general management of the business to their daughter Jane, and her husband Garey, thus ushering in the store's next generation of family ownership. To date, in total, six generations of Hastings have been at the store.
- Northern Security Insurance Company: Originally established December 9, 1904, Northern Security Insurance Co is mostly involved in Fire Marine and Casualty Insurance. Northern Security Insurance Co operates in Vermont. This business establishment is involved in Fire Marine and Casualty Insurance as well as other possible related aspects and functions of Fire Marine and Casualty Insurance. In Montpelier Northern Security Insurance Co maintains its local business operations and may conduct other local business operations elsewhere in additional functions related to Fire Marine and Casualty Insurance.
- Granite Mutual Insurance Company: Established November 23, 1906, Vermont Mutual Insurance Group Granite Mutual Insurance Co is mainly engaged in Insurance. Granite Mutual Insurance Co. operates in Montpelier where it maintains its local business operations. This business operation is involved in Insurance as well as other possible related aspects and functions of Insurance. The company may also conduct business related to insurance outside of Montpelier.
- Small Engine Company: The Small Engine Co. Inc in Colchester, VT provides small engine sales and service. Services are available to commercial and residential customers.